Alappaa, known as cool or cold is a common saying by the Inuvialuit in the Western Arctic Region of Canada. Alappaa Consulting is owned and operated by Myrna Pokiak, BA, BEd, born and raised in the Inuvialuit Settlement Region. The company was inspired by Myrna's girls, Mya and Launa. Alappaa is operated primarily out of Yellowknife and it is crucial for Myrna to keep her ties to her culture and most importantly pass on her knowledge and cultural experiences to her daughters. Myrna started the company as there was a need and an opportunity to combine her education background and cultural knowledge to companies and organizations who require an aboriginal perspective.
The goals of the company are to:
- Ensure that future generations are provided with the opportunity to have culture based education;
- Making learning relevant to students of all ages;
- Educate and train individuals on northern cultures and provide opportunities to learn directly from an Aboriginal perspective;
- Document and incorporate traditional ways of learning with modern tools and technology;
- Encourage and promote cultural understanding and cultural pride.