Alappaa, known as cool or cold is a common saying by the Inuvialuit in the Western Arctic Region of Canada. Alappaa Inc. is owned and operated by Myrna Pokiak, born and raised in the Inuvialuit Settlement Region. The company was inspired by Myrna's girls, Mya and Launa, and a few years later were joined by sweet Kara. Alappaa is operated primarily out of Yellowknife, Northwest Territories. Myrna started the company as there was a need and an opportunity to combine her education background and cultural knowledge to companies and organizations who require an aboriginal perspective, respectfully.
The goals of the company are to:
- Ensure that future generations are provided with the opportunity to have culture based education;
- Offer Manufactured Products within the Northwest Territories with Indigenous and Cultural inclusions
- Educate and train individuals on northern cultures and provide opportunities to learn directly from an Indigenous perspective;
- Document and incorporate traditional ways of learning with modern tools and technology;
- Encourage and promote cultural understanding and cultural pride.